Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Office: ES&T 2314
Favorite sports team? Colorado Avalanche
Favorite TV show? 30 Rock
B.S. Chemical Engineering, Cornell University, 2009
Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder, 2014
Poly(propylenimine) Sorbents for CO2 Capture from Ambient Air
I work on development and understanding of silica-supported poly(propylenimine) (PPI) sorbents for CO2 capture from ambient air. We have demonstrated that PPI-based sorbents are as efficient as or better than the traditionally-used poly(ethylenimine)- (PEI-) based sorbents for adsorption of CO2 nd have additionally discovered that PPI is more resistant to oxidation than PEI. This is allows sorbents based on PPI to be less sensitive to the presence of oxygen during regeneration, allowing for longer sorbent working lifetimes. We are working on understanding the nature of this stability and designing materials around the use of PPI.
- Pang, S. H., Lee, L.-C., Sakwa-Novak, M. A., Lively, R. P., Jones, C. W. “Design of Aminopolymer Structure to Enhance Performance and Stability of CO2 Sorbents: Poly(propylenimine) vs. Poly(ethylenimine),” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 3627-3630.
- Pang, S. H., Han, C., Sholl, D. S., Jones, C. W., Lively, R. P. “Facet-Specific Stability of ZIF-8 in the Presence of Acid Gases Dissolved in Aqueous Solutions,” Chemistry of Materials 2016, 28, 6960-6967.
- Pang, S. H., Lien, C.-H., Medlin, J. W. “Control of Surface Alkyl Catalysis with Thiolate Monolayers,” Catalysis Science & Technology 2016, 6, 2413-2418.
- Pang, S. H., Jue, M. L., Leisen, J., Jones, C. W., Lively, R. P. “PIM-1 as a ‘Solution-Processable’ Molecular Basket for CO2 Capture from Dilute Sources,” ACS Macro Letters 2015, 4, 1415-1419.
- Pang, S. H., Medlin, J. W. “Controlling Catalytic Selectivity via Adsorbate Orientation on the Surface: From Furfural Deoxygenation to Reactions of Epoxides,” J. Physical Chemistry Letters 2015, 6, 1348-1356.
- Pang, S. H., Love, N. E., Medlin, J. W. “Synergistic Effects of Alloying and Thiolate Modification in Furfural Hydrogenation over Cu-Based Catalysts,” J. Physical Chemistry Letters 2014, 5, 4110-4114.
- Pang, S. H., Schoenbaum, C. A., Schwartz, D. K., Medlin, J. W. “Effects of Thiol Modifiers on the Kinetics of Furfural Hydrogenation over Pd Catalysts,” ACS Catalysis 2014, 4, 3123-3131.
- Pang, S. H., Schoenbaum, C. A., Schwartz, D. K., Medlin, J. W. “Directing Reaction Pathways by Catalyst Active-Site Selection using Self-Assembled Monolayers,” Nature Communications 2013, 4 :2448.
- Pang, S. H., Román, A. M., Medlin. J. W. “Adsorption Orientation Induced Selectivity Control of Reactions of Benzyl Alcohol,” J. Physical Chemistry C 2012, 116, 13654-13660.
- Pang, S. H., Medlin, J. W. “Adsorption and Reaction of Furfural and Furfuryl Alcohol on Pd(111): Unique Reaction Pathways for Multifunctional Reagents,” ACS Catalysis 2011, 1, 1272-1283.